International Pet Travel

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Veterinary Services (VS) is the competent government authority responsible for international export of live animals, including pets such as dogs and cats.

Visit APHIS Pet Travel Website

Travel Requirements

When pets travel by airplane,* some airlines may require an additional health certificate such as an APHIS 7001 form to be issued by a licensed veterinarian that states that the pet is fit to travel. The airline should not require APHIS endorsement of any additional information or documentation not required by the importing country.

*Please note that effective July 31, 2016, APHIS VS will no longer be providing endorsement of the APHIS 7001 when this form is not required by the importing country. This information was communicated to the airlines in June of 2016.

What APHIS VS Does

APHIS provides endorsement (review, countersigning, and embossment) of international health certificates after issuance by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian when required by an importing foreign country.

The APHIS Pet Travel website has the most current pet travel requirements available and should be consulted to determine the importing country's requirements or obtain the appropriate international health certificate.

For More Information

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your local VS Office.

Visit APHIS Pet Travel Website