Throughout the year, OVMA offers a variety of volunteer opportunities in which members can educate the public, meet and network with colleagues, guide future veterinarians, help execute OVMA events, and make a difference for their profession.
- OVMA Committees (Year Round) — Bring your ideas to the table to effect change in the veterinary community! OVMA committees deal not just with veterinary medicine, but student activities, public education and more. If you have an interest in one or more of these topics, we invite you to join. Learn more »
- Midwest Veterinary Conference (February) — As one of the nation's largest veterinary conventions, the OVMA needs the help of volunteers to ensure the event runs smoothly. Members have the opportunity to serve as session presiders and/or participate in the annual student/DVM networking event. Learn more »
- Veterinary Exploration Conference (February) — Each year, the OVMA hosts an exploratory conference for high school and undergraduate students. The one-day seminar introduces participants to the variety of career paths within the veterinary medical field, as well as an overview of the education required. Volunteers offer a short presentation to students and answer questions on a selected topic. Learn more »
- Legislative Day (April) — OVMA encourages members to volunteer for its annual Legislative Day, during which participants meet with their legislators to share the veterinary perspective on current issues. Learn more »
- Food Animal Externship (Summer) — This externship opportunity has been established to facilitate the exploration of food animal medicine as a viable career path among veterinary medicine students. The program also encourages and supports OVMA food animal practitioners in developing mentorship opportunities and, potentially, future associate veterinarians. Learn more »
- Ohio State Fair: Veterinary Education & Birthing Center (July/August) — Each year, the state fair brings in hundreds of thousands of visitors, and the OVMA's exhibit continues to be a popular draw. OVMA member volunteers are needed to be on site each day to answer visitor questions and give two brief demonstrations. Learn more »